Stories as a Catalyst for Change featuring Narrative 4

    Tonight, for the first time since the start of the pandemic, the GIP program hosted its first in-person event: Stories as a Catalyst for Change featuring Narrative 4. I found tonight's GIP event extremely special, especially because it was the first in-person event since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. As someone who has both participated in and facilitated Narrative 4 story exchanges, I am able to fully understand the power of empathy-building through storytelling. Listening to and retelling someone's story can be a powerful step to building empathy into action. 

We were able to witness how story exchanges can be utilized in classrooms and communities to increase civic engagement and uplift people locally and globally. Our wonderful panelists, Maru Castañeda (N4's Mexico Regional Manager), Taelor Lewis (N4's Midwest Regional Manager), and Babalwa Tetyana (N4 Student Ambassador, South Africa) spoke proudly about their powerful community transformation projects through Narrative 4. 

Since my first experience listening to Ishmael Beah speak about his life experiences in Sierra Leone, I can appreciate how storytelling is not only about listening but also about learning. By listening to people talk about such intimate topics, you can learn about their experiences and empathize with them. What I found most powerful was Narrative 4's all-inclusive mission to bring together people from all over the globe. 

After hearing the panelists share the projects they have conducted through Narrative 4, they opened up the room for questions. One of the moments that really resonated with me was when Willa J, who led the Q&A portion, asked the panelists to share the most rewarding part of working with Narrative 4. Tetyana shared such a vulnerable answer saying, "Narrative 4 opened up the world and helped her become the amazing leader [she is] today." It was inspiring to hear her speak about how Narrative 4 shaped her as a person and it provoked me to think about how I can be a leader in my own community, whether I make a small impact or large. 

    In addition, Tetyana's poem called "I am From" was a perfect example of the impact storytelling has on people. She carried such a strong sense of vulnerability when she spoke and it felt like every word came to life. Not only did it have a powerful message and stunning writing, but it gave me an insight into her life and experiences, and most importantly, how she has grown from them. 

 Overall, it was an impactful event that provided me with a greater understanding of Narrative 4's work and achievements. I cannot wait to watch this mission continue through Narrative 4's storytelling!



Comments

Popular Posts