My Experience as a Global Scholar

         Here we are, at the end of our Global Scholar journey. When I first started the Global Scholars Program, I could not have been more thrilled. Now that my time is almost at a close, I have so many amazing experiences to reflect on!

    I have learned so much not only from the amazing Global Scholars cohort but also from the numerous GIP events and late-night blog writing. Even though this may sound cliche, I truly learned what it means to turn "empathy into action." 

    In the middle of senior year, we were given the opportunity to work with a cause or organization that we feel passionate about and create a project that can be funded. Through this experience, Sydney and I found the Manara Center Kid's Program in Lebanon. We not only learned how to write and present a 10-page grant proposal, but we also met amazing people along the way. I remember what it was like patiently waiting for the panelists to make their decisions in the nerve-filled library with my fellow Global Scholars. All of the hard work paid off when all of our projects were funded, and I felt that we were all a part of something so much bigger than Poly. 

    What I love about being a Global Scholar are the international connections you can build. What first inspired my interest in being a Global Scholar was my GIP trip to South Africa. I created unforgettable bonds with the students at iThuba and I wanted to expand my perspectives as a global citizen. Since then, I have been nothing but grateful for all of the experiences I got to be a part of during this program. 

    Just being in the Global Scholars cohort surrounded by so many powerful individuals is what made this worthwhile. We watched each other learn and grow by leading GIP events to sharing international news stories in our weekly seminars. Overall, I'm sad that my time has almost come to a close, but I will continue engaging in global news, taking leadership opportunities, and being an active global citizen. Lastly, thank you so much to Mr. Caragher and Ms. Diederich for being nothing but supportive and inspiring throughout my time as a Global Scholar. This is an experience I will never forget!

Comments

Popular Posts